Hershey’s: Holiday Purchase Exploratory
Challenge: Stop & Shop/Giant stores and Hershey’s wanted to know how it could become a destination for holiday purchases, particularly holiday candy. Therefore, it was important to explore the holiday traditions, behaviors, attitudes, and needs of the Stop & Shop/Giant shopper.
Objective: To gain a better understanding of consumers’ holiday shopping behavior and preferences at Giant/Stop & Shop versus key competitive retailers (e.g., Target, Wegmans, ShopRite, Acme, A&P).
Solution: A Qualitative Exploratory was conducted across 3 markets to explore the following key areas:
• Participation in holiday season activities/events and key purchases
• Preferred stores for key purchases and which stood out for the holiday season
• How Giant/Stop & Shop compared to competitors for holiday food purchases
• Unmet needs of shoppers for holiday purchases
• Reactions to various promotional items
• Ideal holiday shopping experience at Giant/Stop & Shop
Result: Findings from this study were used as input for long-term planning for Hershey’s within Stop & Shop and Giant, relative to holiday offerings, merchandising, promotions, and communications.